We understand the fear and uncertainty COVID-19 has brought to many of our member's lives. You may be tempted to use cash, or even withdraw extra during this time, with the idea of protecting your money. But, there are a few reasons this might not be a great idea. Check them out below.
1. Frankly, cash is notoriously covered in germs.
Cash is frequently transferred from person to person, and microbes can survive and spread on the surface of paper money for days. While the World Health Organization hasn’t issued any specific warnings regarding cash and COVID-19, they do recommend washing your hands thoroughly after handling any paper money. We advise you to use alternative options to access your accounts, pay bills, and make purchases during this time.
2. Cash is less protected.
All Collins Community Credit Union deposits are federally insured through the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) up to $250,000. Not one penny of insured savings has ever been lost by a member of Collins Community Credit Union, or any federally insured credit union for that matter. We understand the fear and uncertainty of this time, but before you rush to pull out extra cash, know that your money is safe and secure here (perhaps more so than it might be in your car, wallet, or home).
3. Lastly, cash isn’t as necessary as it used to be!
There are various ways you can conduct transactions, pay bills, transfer funds, and more from the comfort of your home. These include:
- Online Banking - With Online Banking, you can view updated balances and transaction history, transfer funds between accounts or to other people, make loan and credit card payments, request an advance from a credit line, pay bills, and more. If you aren't currently enrolled in Online Banking, click here to get started.
- Mobile App - The Mobile App can be used with your iPhone, iPad, or Android device. The app allows you to view account balances, make transfers between accounts, and pay bills through Bill Pay.
- Mobile Deposit - With Mobile Deposit, use the Collins Mobile App to securely deposit checks into your account anytime, anywhere.
- Further, if you need a debit card during this time, or yours becomes lost or stolen, we have instant issue available at the following branches: 42nd Street, Wiley Blvd., Winterberry, Mills Civic, and Marion. Visit us in the drive-thru and our team will get you set up with a new card. If you’d prefer to skip the trip, call us at 800-475-1150 and we’ll have a new debit card mailed to your home.
While it’s nice to have small amounts of cash on hand, carrying around your money may unnecessarily expose you to germs, and will certainly not protect you from financial hardship.
If you need assistance getting set up with Online Banking or the Collins Mobile App so you can access your accounts from home, reach out to our team at 800-475-1150 or email email@example.com. We'd be happy to help you get enrolled!